Saturday, May 10, 2008

I Like to Surf...

I like to surf the net. I surf traffic exchanges, mostly. I have my websites added to the ones I surf so that I can accrue credits to advertise them on each exchange.

I surf with the sound turned off or down super low nowadays, because so many sites have auto-playing audio and /or video. I DO NOT like auto sound and video...I feel it invades my space...I cannot listen to music or anything else, for that matter, while I surf because, it inevitably is interrupted by someone's idea of new internet marketing.

Audio and video are great, in and of themselves...but when they are forced on me, I tend to run for the STOP button. If I want to watch or listen to video/audio, I would appreciate the choice to do so...the message that is being sent ends up being lost on me anyway, because I will usually disregard a site the next time I see it for the simple reason that they held no regard for me and my right to choose what I hear and see.

And there is one other aspect of auto-playing audio/video that annoys me...it slows down the page loading of websites considerably. I will click away from a page that is "forever" loading something in favor of one I can see quickly and easily.

There are many marketers on the internet that are pushing videos and audio right now...but I am not going to be one of them...You may see an occasional affiliate page with auto-something or other that I am advertising, merely because I haven't made a splash page for it, and if you think my advertising pages are 'old fashioned', that's fine by me.

2 comments:

HermitJim said...

Hey Cat...I could not agree with you more on this issue! In fact I even posted several times on my blog about this very thing!

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that's annoyed by this practise. Well done...well done!

Jim

js said...

I totally agree with you on the sound at various surf pages, Cat. Totally.

Fortunately, the MacBook OS X is so superior to XP and Vista! Am able to assign sound to my earphones coming from adverts and sund from simply surfing, checking e-mail and so on, to the onboard speakers.

Or listening to youtube videos.

js